Why is Drupal the best choice for building our website?
Among developers who have tried various tools for building websites, Drupal has emerged as the CMS of choice, and is becoming quite popular, for many reasons:
- It is a powerful and flexible framework for creating dynamic, reliable, and scalable websites. It has built-in support for custom content types, rich editing, and content revisioning; user comments and forums; clean and search-engine friendly URLs; modular theming; tagging with keywords and taxonomy terms; image galleries; support for an unlimited number of web pages (with no coding required); user authentication, sessions, permissions, and management; internationalization and localization; and much more.
- Drupal makes it possible for me to add new features to a website quickly. Over 20,000 prebuilt modules can be used to expand the functionality of a basic Drupal installation, with less time and effort than other solutions.
- Site content and settings are saved for you in a database, which can be backed up, for greater security.
- Drupal allows website owners to add and modify the content easily, without having to understand HTML or other technologies.
- A Drupal website keeps track of ongoing activity, such as specific users logging in and out. Even the changes to page text can be logged, using revisioning.
- Drupal is optimal for building search-engine friendly websites, including standards-compliant HTML/CSS, dynamic page titles, meta tags, customizable and readable URLs, RDF support, and Google Analytics integration.
- It is based upon the most commonly used and trusted Web technologies available, including PHP and MySQL.
- Drupal is actively maintained, tested, and improved — including updates for any security problems discovered.
- Drupal is more secure than the only two CMSs more commonly used, WordPress and Joomla. Drupal's dedicated security team has more than 40 experts, who will unpublish any modules with unresolved security issues. Also, Drupal's password security meets the requirements for US government agencies. In fact, the websites of the White House and US Commerce were built using Drupal.
- Drupal is built using high-quality, modular code that has been well tested, during its successful 10-year history.
- It offers high performance, with built-in caching and scalability to multiple servers.
- The Drupal software is free to download and use, and there are no license fees. So in most cases, the only cost for a new website is the design and development time.
- Drupal is free, GPL licensed, and open source. So none of it is hidden from you or your staff. Consequently, you are not limited by any vendor's proprietary "black box" (which usually only the original developers can decipher). You are not locked into any relationship, and can easily move to a different Drupal vendor should you ever decide to do so. There are even agencies — staffed with Drupal experts — that can serve as backup vendors.
- Drupal has a thriving and enthusiastic community of thousands of developers, so you will always be able to find people to maintain your website.
- The number of websites worldwide running on Drupal is unknown, but estimates range from over one million to 7.19 million. These include such demanding clients as Fortune 500 companies, universities, non-profit organizations, and governments — for instance: The Economist, the Grammys, Harvard, IKEA, the City of Los Angeles, the Louvre, MTV, NBC Olympics, NASA, Sony, Viacom, Warner Brothers, the Weather Channel, Wikipedia, and Yahoo. These and other organizations run high-traffic Drupal websites, and have made strategic business decisions to invest in it.