Getting a Web Host
Your website needs to be stored on a hosting company's web servers. I use and strongly recommend SiteGround, for many reasons. Fortunately, it's easy to sign up for an affordable account for your future website (or, if you have an existing site, move it to a better host):
- Click here, which opens up a new window. If it asks you if you want to accept a cookie, then do so.
- Click the red "Sign Up" button in that new window.
- In step 1 ("Choose Plan"), pick a plan that matches your future website's needs.
- Their "StartUp" plan is appropriate for one modest-sized website. You could always have them upgrade you to a more advanced plan later, if needed. Many of my clients anticipate having several websites — for marketing purposes, etc. — and select the "GrowBig" plan.
- Click the corresponding blue "Order Now" button.
- In step 2 ("Choose Domain"), either register a new (and free) domain name if you do not already have one, or indicate that you have one
- If you do not already have a domain name, then enter the domain name you want for your website. If it is unavailable, try your next choice. If you have difficulty coming up with an available one, contact me so I can help you.
- Or, if you already have a domain name, enter it.
- Click the blue "Proceed" button.
- In step 3 ("Review & Complete"), enter all the requested account information.
- In the "Contact Information" section, if you are opening an account on behalf of someone else (such as a non-technical client), then use your own e-mail address, so you will receive the initial message from SiteGround. We can change the address later to whatever the client wants.
- In the "Purchase Information" section, for the "Period", choose at least 12 months. To minimize the number of times that they remind you to renew, sign up for 36 months instead of 12.
- SiteGround may recommend additional services, but you probably do not need them.
- Click the "Submit Order" button.
- If the hosting account information differs from your credit card information, then you may see a dialog box informing you that a customer service representative will try to call you immediately at the phone number that you entered earlier. This is for security reasons.
- SiteGround will send you an order confirmation message containing your username. Please forward that message to me, plus your chosen password, because I will need the information for uploading files to the web host account. Thanks.
Please let me know if any portion of these instructions are unclear or out of date (if SiteGround changed their procedures).
If you have any questions while signing up, then contact SiteGround's customer support toll-free at 866-605-2484 or click their online "LIVE CHAT" link in the upper part of their site.